365 Days of Grief & Healing
In 1934 Mr. Larkin Garrett a native of Cumberland County, Virginia opened the funeral home in the village of Powhatan, Virginia. This was one of three locations that he operated. The other two locations were in the villages of Cumberland, Va. and Goochland, Va. The name of the firm was Garrett Funeral Home.
In 1958 Mr. James Samuel Rose a licensed Funeral Director and Embalmer for Bliley's Funeral Home in Richmond, Va. aquired the company from Mr. Garrett. Mr. Rose operated the funeral home from the same location in the village of Powhatan until his retirement. The firm's name was Rose Funeral Home.
Mr. Matthew J. Bennett also a licensed Funeral Director and Embalmer for Bliley's Funeral Home in Richmond, Va. took over ownership from Mr. Rose in 1985. Mr. Bennett changed the firm's name to Rose-Bennett Funeral Home and expanded the operation to include monuments and grave markers. In 1992 the company name changed to Bennett and Barden Funeral Home when a new location was built on Anderson Highway. The name Barden came from when Mr. Bennett took a partner in named David Barden. The brief partnership was desolved and Mr. Bennett remains the owner and operator to this very day. In September of 2009 a Crematory was added to the exsisting location. The firm has been a family owned business since it was established in 1934. Mr. Bennett's son Charles M. Bennett joined the business full time in 2010.